Employment Permits for Construction Workers

The construction industry is suffering more than most from a tight labour market. Carpenters, electricians, bricklayers, and skilled tradespeople of all types are in short supply.

A lot of contractors and construction recruiters are not aware that it is possible to bring in skilled workers from outside of the EU on employment permits, for construction work.

This includes:

  • Scaffolders
  • Bricklayers
  • Electricians
  • Plumbers
  • Carpenters
  • Electricians
  • Crane Drivers

I have a prospective employee – should I apply for a permit for them?

If you have sourced someone who is interested in coming to work for you in Ireland, the next step is to confirm that you as an employer, your prospective employee, and the role itself meet the required criteria for a permit.

  • 1)The job needs to pay more than €14.79 per hour, or the minimum SEO rate if an SEO applies;
  • 2)The intended employment needs to be for more than 3 months;
  • 3)The employer needs to have more than 50:50 EEA to non-EEA workers on the date of application;
  • 4)The employee has the requisite level of experience and/or qualification;
  • 5)A labour market needs test may need to be carried out.

What do I need to do?

Depending on whether your prospective employee is from a “visa-required” country or not, you will need to obtain:

  • 1)An employment permit; and
  • 2)An employment permit visa.

A permit application is made to the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

If successful, and your employee is visa required, they will need to make a separate application to the Department of Foreign Affairs via their local embassy or consulate.

If you are interested in discussing your immigration options further, please contact our Immigration Law Team.

Contact Eoghan

Eoghan McMahon, solicitor, can assist you in all areas relating to immigration law in Ireland.

If you have a query you can contact him on:

Phone: +353 (0) 1 873 5012